A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to run a social media business training program for an IT consulting company in Chennai India. During the 2-Day training program I had the opportunity to share digital marketing strategies, tactics and tools and also get to know the Indian culture.
While when we think of social media there is often a perception that social media marketing is different in different geographies, and this is true, to a certain extent. I’ve also presented in Latin America, Asia and Europe, and while there are definitely differences, there are also significant similarities.
Here are just a few observations that I wanted to share about the similarities in social media marketing:
- While the sites and tactics may be different, the overall strategies are still similar
- When trying to connect with people on digital and social, the general approach and opportunities are similar across geographies
- The business social media planning process is the same – the tools and executions might be different
- Facebook is emerging as the international social network that connects us all
- Twitter also has mass adoption as the primary microblogging site across most geographies
- Mobile marketing presents some of the biggest differences across geographies
At the end of it all, perhaps we are more similar than different.